MASALA UPMA VADA (MIXED VEGETABLE SEMOLINA FRITTERS)
All my hubbie has to hear is “It’s masala upma for breakfast today” and his mood is ruined. Trust me to try out something which caught my attention using masala upma! Thanks to Sanjeev Kapoor I tried out his masala upma fritters and hubbie could not stop praising the delicious breakfast he had!
This is what you’ll need
Semolina: 1 cup
Onion: 1 (finely chopped)
Carrot: 1 (peeled and cut into very fine cubes)
French beans: 12 to 15 (finely chopped)
Green chillies: 2
Ginger: 1/4tsp (grated)
Curry leaves: Few
Mustard seeds: 1tsp
Coriander leaves: 1tbsp (finely chopped)
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Let’s get cooking
1. Heat the ghee in a pan and season with the mustard seeds, curry leaves, slit green chillies and ginger.
2. Add the onions and saute for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the chopped vegetables and fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add the semolina and salt. Fry well for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Add 3 cups of water (more if the mixture is thick) and cover the pan. Let it cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
6. When the mixture is dry, remove from flame.
7. Add the chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
8. Shape into small round shaped vadas and deep fry in hot oil.
9. Serve hot with rasam/ sambhar and chutney.
Approximate preparation and cooking time: 1 hour