CHILLI CHICKEN (GRAVY)
This is what you’ll need
Chicken: 500gms boneless
Ginger garlic paste: 1tbsp
Green pepper: 1
Green chillies: 8-9
Soya sauce: 2tsp
Ajinomoto: a pinch
Tomato ketchup: 2tsp
Coriander leaves: Few
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying
Let’s get cooking
1. Clean the chicken and keep aside. Chop the onions into 2” pieces and slit the green chillies. Cut the peppers into 2” pieces.
2. Make a paste with 2tbsp cornflour and water. Add half the ginger, garlic paste, ½tsp soya sauce, ½tsp vinegar, salt and pepper. Marinate for 20 minutes.
3. Heat the oil and deep fry the chicken pieces. Drain on kitchen roll and keep it aside.
4. Heat 2tsp of oil in a pan. Add the onions and green chillies. Sauté until onions are brown.
5. Add the rest of the ginger garlic paste and fry.
6. Add the chicken, soya sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, salt and pepper.
7. Mix 1tbsp of the cornflour with water and add to the chicken. Mix well. Boil till it thickens.
8. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and a dash of lime.
As mentioned before, chicken is an excellent source of protein. The skin however is high in saturated fat and hence removed before eating. The chicken breast is an ideal meat for any weight loss diet.
This recipe has fried chicken, but for overweight/ obese people and those with cardiovascular diseases the chicken pieces can be boiled instead of frying them. They can then be added to the curry.
Chicken is low in carbohrydrate and also has a low glycaemic index, again making it a good choice for Dibetics.