Another one of my amma’s recipes that she learnt when she was in college! I remember amma always telling me that the brinjal pickle she learnt to make in college was tasty. Somehow I never got around to making it.
Today was a quiet day, with not much of work to do around the house. Was going through the fridge and realised that there was some brinjal that needed to be used. Couldn’t think of a better dish to make than try out the pickle. Goes well as a bread filling too, apart from an accompaniment with rice and dal!
This is what you’ll need
Red chillies: 60gms
Green chillies: 20
Coriander powder: 1tbsp
Garlic: 8 cloves
Vinegar: ¼ cup
Curry leaves: 10-12
Oil: ½ cup
Salt to taste
Let’s get cooking
1. Cut the brinjals into thin slices and keep in water. Slit the green chillies.
2. Grind half the garlic, red chillies and ginger to a fine paste using little vinegar.
3. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the curry leaves and coriander powder.
4. Add the ground paste, slit green chillies and the rest of the garlic.
5. When soft, drain the brinjal and add to this. Fry until soft.
6. Add the sugar, vinegar and salt. When it boils remove from flame.
7. Cool and serve.