Was in the mood to eat something sweet and also wanted to try making something different. Too much of thinking finally made me decide on Bread Halwa, how it came to my mind even I don’t know! I had thought this was quite a unique dish, until I found so many recipes for bread halwa on the internet! :(. However, I decided to go ahead and prepare it in my version. Ideally I would have liked to use brown bread, but since there was only white bread at home and I had made up my mind on making this today itself, I went ahead with using what I had at home.
The end product was quite delicious and it’s taste reminded me of Shahi Tukda that I make. This halwa however is lower in calories since the bread isn’t deep fried. Enjoy this easy to prepare sweet treat.
This is what you’ll need
Bread slices: 4 big or 6 small
Sugar: 6tbsp (or more if you like it sweeter)
Cardamom powder: 1tsp
Cashew nuts: To garnish (roasted)
Let’s get cooking
1. Dry grind the bread slices in a mixer to make bread crumbs.
2. Melt the ghee in a pan and add the bread crumbs to it.
3. On a low flame fry it well until evenly brown. This will take around 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the cream and sugar and mix well, until the sugar melts.
5. Mix in the milk and cardamom powder and fry until the mixture is dry.
6. Remove from flame and serve warm garnished with roasted cashew nuts.
Approximate preparation and cooking time: 35 minutes